Every month, William Mills Agency contributes our thoughts and advice on industry trends and relevant issues to CUES’ Credit Union Management’s online “PR Insight” column.
Previous articles are listed below. Check back often to see new commentary.
- What role should public relations play? by Megan Fort CUES’ Credit Union Management’s online-only “PR Insight” column runs the first Thursday of every month. The prevalence of widespread, nonrelated data breaches in the last year continues to spawn conversations about proper cybersecurity technology defenses, risk mitigation tactics and compliance mandates. For credit unions, these events have brought additional attention to Read More
- Consider content, cost and frequency by Chuck Meyers and Debbie Harris CUES’ Credit Union Management’s online-only “PR Insight” column runs the first Thursday of every month Credit unions excel at connecting with members by maintaining excellent relationships with members, offering more personalized services and cultivating a sense of community. But recently credit unions have started to lag behind other financial institutions Read More
- Is your credit union following these three news release best practices? by Jamie Garvin Credit Union Management’s online-only “PR Insight” column runs the first Thursday of every month The book bags are packed and the buses are rolling; Kids across the U.S. are headed back to school. They’ll spend the first couple days reviewing the foundations of each subject before Read More
- Keys to a successful renovation by Lauren Schuster CUES’ Credit Union Management’s online-only “PR Insight” column runs the first Thursday of every month. The summer season is generally considered as “downtime” for both businesses and members, so business matters are often pushed aside and re-addressed in the fall. Vacations or not, now is the perfect time for credit unions to capitalize Read More
- Know what your audience wants and deliver compelling content by Anna Stanley CUES’ Credit Union Management’s online-only “PR Insight” column runs the first Thursday of every month. Building long-term relationships with members is one of the fundamental values driving the credit union movement. Consistent member communication is crucial to building a loyal member base. Although the channels and methods have Read More
- Four must-haves to make your news more compelling by Ann Bates Credit Union Management’s online-only “PR Insight” column runs the first Thursday of every month. The reality of today’s media environment is that everyone is competing for the same audience.Consumers are bombarded with a 24-hour news cycle and endless exposure to content via social media. Though a traditional and oft-employed public relations Read More
- As the hype of the NCAA basketball tournament has come to an end, it is a perfect time for credit unions everywhere to re-examine their media relations strategy. Whether you’ve just integrated new technology, have an executive with an interesting background or simply wish to share an opinion on current industry happenings, chances are there is a journalist out there who is interested in your story.
- Understanding what it is, what it can do, and why you need it. Marketing continues to be a primary challenge for credit union managers. In fact, a recent report found that for the second year in a row, marketers cited insufficient budgets and/or manpower as the top problem they face.
- Developing and maintaining member loyalty is typically a primary focus of a credit union’s strategic plan. Moving into 2014, it is important for credit unions not to overlook the value of public relations to build stronger relationships with key constituents. If your credit union does not already have a public relations strategy in place, these five simple tips can help ensure key messages reach target audiences and effectively tell your
- A well-constructed public relations plan – or roadmap – can help your credit union drive growth, establish and maintain credibility, and educate key audiences on why your CU is better than the competition. The quality of the plan dictates its success and weighs heavily on the following key elements:
- Throughout the past decade, the introduction and adoption of social media have consistently increased year after year, expanding far beyond a channel for sharing photos and socializing with friends and family. But despite the awareness of social media in both consumer and business realms, the Why?, How?, When? and What for? of social media implementation are still a significant concern for many of today’s credit unions.
- In every aspect of life, balance is key to success. Balanced tires on a car mean a smoother ride. A balanced diet usually results in the healthy function of your body. A well-balanced public relations campaign helps position your credit union as a media resource. Well-balanced PR efforts require three components: press releases, executive media placements and case studies. Together, these tools build exposure and enhance a company’s credibility because of
- Most credit union executives know how beneficial publicity can be for their organizations but do not have a plan for generating consistent media coverage. Credit unions can generate more regular coverage by executing their own mini PR program based on the steps below
- Every credit union has a story; a compelling, distinctive brand that sets it apart from competitors. Credit unions are “not for profit, not for charity, but for service,” and in this light, it becomes so crucial to effectively communicate that mission to the surrounding community. Not only to provide the highest levels of service to members, but to reach potential members within the community to spur growth.
- Is your credit union making the most of credit union industry event participation? By Lauren Schuster CUES’ CU Management’s online-only “PR Insight” column runs the first Thursday of every month. Trade shows are a costly component of a credit union’s public relations campaign, from both a time and a cost standpoint. From travel expenses to registration fees and valuable time spent away from Read More
- Great content ideas to stay in touch by Sheryl Gudelsky Credit Union Management’s online-only “PR Insight” column runs the first Thursday of every month. Because of the July 4 holiday, the column is running one day late this month! As your members enjoy the fun and excitement that summer brings – family vacations, neighborhood barbeques, outdoor activities – it is the Read More
- At some point in time, every organization will be faced with a crisis. Some are minor: The ATM is down for two hours for maintenance. But some are quite severe: the deadly tornados in Oklahoma. How your credit union reacts to crises as they occur communicates a great deal to the marketplace about the institution and its leadership.
- Much like any business investment, the only way to determine whether a public relations plan is successful is to set benchmarks and make sure you are meeting or exceeding them. Studying your measurable results, you can optimize PR efforts to better focus your plan and increase its effectiveness.
- According to the 2013 Online Newsroom Survey conducted annually by TEKGroup International, Inc., 97 percent of journalists consider it important for a company to have an active and updated online newsroom. Eighty percent of those polled visit online newsrooms for small- to medium-sized companies as well as large companies. The survey also stresses that members of the media are no longer the only visitors to your website’s newsroom. More than
- How to lighten your social media workload with a content strategy. Managing social media efforts will no doubt take time, but taking an integrated, strategic approach to the process can make it much simpler. While filling Facebook statuses, Tweets and empty blog pages sounds intimidating, following the tips below will make managing those platforms easier than you think.